Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My politcial views... well some

The more and more I think about politics and the system we have the more and more I am finding that most politicans are wrong. they contradict themselves and are down right hypocrtical. I am going to put together a few of my thoughts on why I feel that way.


The first established death penalty laws date as far back as the Eighteenth Century B.C. in the Code of King Hammaurabi of Babylon, which codified the death penalty for 25 different crimes. The death penalty was also part of the Fourteenth Century B.C.'s Hittite Code; in the Seventh Century B.C.'s Draconian Code of Athens, which made death the only punishment for all crimes; and in the Fifth Century B.C.'s Roman Law of the Twelve Tablets. Death sentences were carried out by such means as crucifixion, drowning, beating to death, burning alive, and impalement.
Today we still use the death pently in the United States where many of Countries do not. We categorize our people that support the death penalty as Republicans and people that don't Democrats... which leads me to my next point.
Memebers of the political party that support abortion are democrats... while the reserve is true for Republicans. here is where I disagree with both. How can one party be ok with abortion and not ok with the death penalty? And vice versa. That seems contradicting. I feel that I value all life and as a Human I don't have the ability to make the call if a Man should die or not. I think if they commit horrific crimes than prison in Jail forever in a Super Max prison would be justice. I would like to end with some famous quotes for you all to think about (no one will read this but me)
Lord of the rings
Frodo: It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.
Christmas Carol:
Ghost of Christmas Present.
It may well be that, in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than MILLIONS like this poor man's child.

4 comments:

Jake n' Chanté said...

I agree with your opinion that we should not be deciding whether a person should live or die. I also see how imprisoning that person is a huge burden on society. We spend billions on prisoners every year feeding, clothing, guarding, educating (I hate that it's free for an inmate to get their BA or MA or PhD but I have to pay rediculous amounts of money to get one) etc.

On the other hand, there are thousands of people who are living on the street due to no fault of their own. We also have children who are not getting the education that they should be due to lack of funding.

As a tax payer, if someone kills a member of my family, I get to pay thousands of dollars to imprison that person. They should be paying me. Not me paying to support them.

I don't have an answer to this dilema. I'm just throwing out another perspective.

BryantH2O said...

Jake the problem is that most Americans don't understand how much it costs to get the death penalty. In the 80's the state of Utah paid 60,000 dollars to house someone for 6 months. that is a lot more than years and years of time in prison. It usually cost well over a million dollars to kill someone by the death penalty.

as for degrees people detained in a SuperMax prison serving life sentences don't get the free degrees like someone else that is going to enter society in a few months or years. The sad thing about the education is it doesn't do them much good because we shun convicts from society and most jobs won't hire people that have had felony charges placed against them.

As far as them paying you that is a whole other story. The criminal case tried by the DA of a city is not for restitution but crimes against the state (killing) and is either sentenced or not.

However, no matter what the sentence is you than file for a civil suite. A classic example is the OJ Simpson trial. He was deemed not innocent by the state but the civil suite found him guilty and he paid millions to her family.

Brandi said...

Hey Bryant! Good to see that you have a blog. That really is a good point about the death penalty and how it relates to each party. It really is hypocritical.

Lindsay said...

hey! we're making our blog private, send me your email address and i'll add you so you can still get on it! here's our email address, dev_linds@hotmail.com thanks! :)
oh by the way, this is Devin Edvalson's wife..just so you knew who it was writing on your blog!